Saturday, July 12, 2008

Why spend the money on beds?


Here's a little background info for this story. The twins had been sharing a full size bed until we moved to the new house. Everyone has their own room now so we figured it was time to separate them. They've all been doing great at sleeping in their own beds all night. Lizzie insisted on sleeping on the floor one night claiming that her bed was "too comfy" and we've found her asleep on the floor a few times since.


Recently Hunter has become concerned about monsters. We get the outside of our house sprayed for bugs (the bugs are crazy here, especially the fire ants), so we started telling him that they spray for monsters too. This seemed to be working until we decided to activate our house alarm. He had questions about what the alarm was for and what it would do. We explained and he asked if the alarm was for monsters too. Thinking it would reassure him even more we told him that if a monster got past the "monster" spray then the alarm would go off and the police would come and take him away. I think the whole thing backfired so not only is he leery of monsters, but now he's leery about the monster alarm.


So to get back to the story, for the past few nights he's wanted to sleep in the monkey bed (this is what we call the full size bed because it has a monkey comforter on it) which is in Anna's room. Of course when he wants to sleep in the monkey bed. Lizzie wants to sleep there too. We let them all have a little slumber party for a couple of nights, but they stay up and talk and keep Anna awake. Last night when Hunter asked to sleep in the monkey bed, we put our foot down and told him he had to sleep in his own bed. Hunter and Lizzie both protested, but laid down in their beds. Hunter came down once to ask what the beeping noise was. It was us setting the alarm and he comes down and asks about the noise every night. Lizzie came down to inform us that after trying for 5 minutes she couldn't sleep. We ushered them both back upstairs and after a few more scoldings for not going to bed they settled down and went to sleep.


At 2 in the morning Lizzie shows up in our bed. I kept thinking that I could hear Hunter calling me, so I went up to check on him. I found Anna asleep at the top of the stairs and because of a couple of falls down the stairs (one resulting in a trip to the ER and a CAT scan) I decided to risk her waking up and put her in her bed. I peeked in Hunter's room and he wasn't in his bed, he wasn't in Lizzie's bed and he wasn't in the monkey bed. I found him down stairs asleep on the couch. When I got back to our bed Lizzie had done a flip and was now sleeping with her head at the foot of the bed. No problem, more room for me, but Rich had dreams of being kicked by Lizzie all night. It wasn't a dream. So after finding all 3 kids sleeping soundly somewhere other than their beds, I asked the question, "Why did we spend all that money on beds if the kids are happy and comfortable sleeping on the floor, the couch and just about anywhere?". I don't have an answer other than eventually maybe they'll like sleeping in their bed better than anywhere else.


Here's a couple of pictures from the community pool.



Rich and the kids at the pool










This is our cool pool. The closer pool is the kiddie pool with a sloping entrance. The farther pool is the "big kid "pool. The outside of it is 3' and the middle is 5'. The 2 pools are connected just behind the kids. The big yellow thing is a fountain that the kids can turn on. We love it!







No comments: