Friday, October 24, 2008

Old ladies make my day

We stopped at Arby's for lunch today. As we were sitting eating our lunch, 3 moms came in with their kids and the moms were all skinny and dressed fashionably. I was watching them thinking how much better they looked than I did and was just kind of feeling bad about myself. I felt a little tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see an older woman with a big smile on her face. She said that she just had to compliment me on how well my children were behaving and how cute they were. She said it was so nice to see such nice kids in this day and age. I just have to say that that woman totally turned my day around. I would so rather have someone compliment me on my parenting skills than on how great I look. I've actually gotten quite a few compliments on my kids over the last 4 years. I've even gotten a few compliments on how well I'm handling them when they're throwing fits. The twins preschool teach accused me of having mommy guilt the other day during parent/teacher conference. She assured me that my kids were normal and were doing great in school (Elizabeth does have problems sharing her new bff, Alexis). So I guess I'm (I should probably include Rich in the parenting success, even if he does teach Hunter such phrases as "sucka fool" which he uses to infuriate Lizzie. Thanks Rich) doing ok on the parenting front and with any luck our children will grow up to be productive, responsible members of society.

1 comment:

Shari Steelsmith Duffin said...

Hi Holly,

It's Shari D. from Bonney Lake. Jennifer Lear told me you were blogging & I managed to find you (I'm old & not very experienced in the blogosphere :)

Your post here made me smile. I had a very similar experience once in an airplane when the kids were about 5 and 8. We sat next to a gorgeously-dressed, well-manicured woman who'd obviously boarded the plane straight from Nordstrom. She fiddled with her blackberry most of the short flight or drank from her expensive bottle of water. I sat next to her, feeling my gray roots, broken nails, and jeans discontentedly. Then, miraculously, as the plane landed, the lady gathered up her stuff, smiled at me and said, "Your children are so well-behaved. You must be proud of them." I had the same reaction you did---totally turned my attitude around. Parenting is far more important than appearance....

Fun to see your blog.
S.