Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fire Ants

are the work of the devil!!

Our back yard has not been mowed in a few weeks. We're the only ones who have to look at it and the lawn is only long along the fences. Rich has been so busy, so I decided to mow the lawn. The front was easy and the back really wasn't bad until I stepped in a fire ant hill. I felt all these little pricks and looked down to find several fire ants feasting on my legs. I quickly brushed them all off (It's amazing how fast you can move when your leg is on fire). I was kind of worried, but mowed the rest of the lawn. I took a shower and inspected my legs and couldn't find any bites. I thought I was experiencing some kind of miracle. I felt them bite me, but I had no nasty, itchy, pus filled bites. Well, I woke up this morning and I'm still experiencing a tiny miracle, in that I only have 6 bites.

So, I'm glad I mowed the lawn for several reasons.

1) In Rich's currant state of health, I'm not sure how he would have reacted to the bites. It would just be his luck to be deathly allergic to them.
2) I found the ants before the kids did. They've all been bitten before, but they would have gotten tons if they had stepped on the hill. (one ant will bite you several times)
3) I can call our bug guy and show him exactly where the hills (I found 3) are and he can annihilate the little meanies before they take over the whole back yard.

I guess I can say that one thing we don't like about Texas is the fire ants. On the other hand, monarch butterflies migrate through Texas. There are tons of them flying around and they are so beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your family should have a reality show ... you can't script this kind of comedy. I still have tears in my eyes over Jesus allegedly not dancing.